Sunburn skin? We've got this. First and foremost, get out of the sun. Get inside or in a shaded area. Cool off.
- Go inside or in the shade, and stay out of the sun until your sunburn fades. Exposure to more sunlight will only make things worse.
- Drink lots of water. If you start to get the chills, you are experiencing to a greater or lesser degree, sun poisoning. Don't worry. It will go away. You have to cool down and allow your skin to hydrate and get some help. Here are some tips:
- Place a cool compress on your sunburned skin for immediate sunburn relief.
- Take a cool shower or bath to cool your sunburned skin. We offer a baking soda, lavender bath bomb which helps ease irritation & redness from sunburn.
- Use aloe vera to soothe and moisturize sunburn. We have a Cucumber & Aloe soap which is loaded with natural oils as well to comfort & reduce swelling for overheated skin.
- Witch hazel. When applied to the skin can help reduce inflammation and help relieve sunburn. We have a product called "Happy Hands® Hand Sanitizer" that is pure aloe, lavender, witch hazel & vitamin E which helps soothe and calm skin. Check it out.
- Essential oils such as lavender or helichrysum can be applied in small amounts to the skin to soothe sunburn. Try our Lavender & Helichrysum massage oil. It works.
- Keep your home cool. Turn down the air conditioner and use fans to help blow cool air over your skin.
- Once your initial burn has calmed down, coconut oil can be used as a skin moisturizer.
- Apply freshly brewed tea after it has cooled to sunburnt skin using a clean cloth. The tannic acid in black tea reportedly helps draw heat from sunburned skin, and also aids in restoring the pH balance. Add mint to the tea for a more cooling effect.
We hope this helps. We want you to have an amazing summer but trust your instincts. If you are getting overheated, get out of the sun.
Beth for Voss Botanicals